Saturday 6 August 2011

Waiting and Watching

In the last couple of weeks I've had the pleasure of going to some of Sophie-Lee's piano performances. It was fun to be in the audience for the Year 12 Showcase - a place to display the drama, music, art, textile design, and design technology works. Sophie-Lee was part of a group drama which made me laugh more than I've laughed in a long time. I thoroughly enjoyed it. The she performed three piano pieces.



I would have liked to be in the audience on the second night of the showcase as well but taxi-driving duties and no baby sitter made that impossible. :(

While I was waiting for Belle to arrive I sat outside, which happened to be warmer than in the foyer, and did a bit of sketching.


I was sitting outside the Hurstville City Museum and Gallery in the dark, except for a couple of floodlights shining onto the museum. That was a nice way to pass the time.

Later that week we had a quick session at the St. George Eisteddfod where there were only 3 competitors in Soph's section. Sophie-Lee was awarded a Highly Commended for her playing.

Last night, thinking that our session at the Eisteddfod would be similarly short, I ducked out of the house leaving quick instructions for Susannah who was looking after the kids. It was not short. We were there for two and a half hours.. That was well and truly enough time for me to sketch the scene before me. I drew all but the pianist, enjoying the range of music and its performance by the competitors. Eventually, it was Soph's turn. I drew her in - that's why she is a little airy-fairy. She played beautifully.


The adjudicator was listening for musicality, not just technical ability, he said, from the 12 or so contestants. And obviously Sophie-Lee managed to get a bit of musicality in there because she was again awarded a Highly Commended.

So there you go.

2 comments:

Martha Lever said...

Wow! your sketches are fabulous. And congratulations to Sophie!!! Thanks for your comment today.

Unknown said...

Yay to Sophie, love your sketches!