Monday 24 May 2010

Some "Enchanted" Scrapbooking

On Saturday I was inspired by Peg's scrapbooking and her mini challenge of getting 4 layouts done by the 25th for the Enchanted Scrapbooking Dream a Little Dream challenges. On Saturday night I printed up the challenges, picked and printed my photos and had it all set for a relaxing and very satisfying day in my art room. First I had to clean it up a bit.

So here goes....
Challenge 1
So I was inspired by the eye and Hudson seeing Sydney Tower. I think I managed to get the colour palette. I Glimmermisted the train ticket to make it more pink and it serves to be the date for the layout.


We went up Sydney Tower a few weeks ago - a very enjoyable experience - and Hudson was probably the most excited about the whole excursion. A week or so later Hudson spotted Sydney Tower from Hyde Park (I actually pointed him in that direction with the intent of capturing his face). As you can see from his expression - he was excited. His exclamation... "I love Sydney Tower!"

Challenge 2
I knew what I wanted to do with this layout and it all came together amazingly. It was a fun, no-agonising layout that says what I want it to say.
At first I wrote out my journalling on a scrap of paper saying something about us not using text books for science because science just happens. Then I was going to make a book-like journalling spot so I fished out one of my old books and it happened to be "The Australian School" by A. G. Austin (an interesting biography there) which I use to soak up excess Glimmermist and other colourful bits not to be wasted.

So here I am browsing the pages and thought I might look for something related to science and what do you know!!!!?

Here's the quote that is stuck at the bottom of the layout.
'If teachers work in harmony with the spirit of this programme,' the Director wrote, 'school work should gain in reality, in interest, and in genuine power, and there should be a consequent absence of that bookish information, which may be useful enough for passing examinations, but which is too far divorced from actual life interests to ever become that knowledge which is power. Teachers should constantly test the subjects of the syllabus by asking whether a given subject is introduced as a means of stimulating and developing power of thought, or whether it is introduced to develop power of expressing thought, or whether it is designed to subserve both ends.'
These were disturbing instructions...

And it goes on to say that teachers were disturbed by the radical changes that were to be made in nearly every subject.
This was all pre Education Department.

Hennyway - that was exactly what I wanted to say!


Malachi found his soccer ball with its innards sticking out and expanding with the heat. Ding!!! Science experiment opportunity. So we measured the protrusion and then I suggested we put it in the shade and leave it over night and see what happens then. More measurements and a conclusion that if we left it in the hottest place possible it might explode. So that's what Malachi did. The explosion wasn't as dramatic as the time the soccer ball was left next to the space heater in Uralla (it burst, sending rubber into the heater which then started burning which set off the smoke alarm!) but pop it did! Ta dah. So much fun. As was the layout.

Challenge 3
Okay. My inspiration from the photo is two-fold. Firstly, Caitlin's hair hanging down was kinda like the dandelion flower thing. And secondly, the dandelion photo has been desaturated except for the ladybird. I slightly lowered the saturation of my photo so that it wasn't too stand-out-y. :)


This was my favourite layout of the weekend. I think, because it is pink :) but also because I am inspired by Finnabair and her beautiful layouts like this, this and this.

I had great fun using my new found knowledge of Glimmermist - spraying through lace. What a fabulous and fun result. And I "embraced the dreaded dots" (Heidi Swapp) that happened because, for some reason, the darker Glimmermists seem to clog up.

So there it is - Caitlin hanging upside down at Cooper Park in Engadine and a happy verse from the Bible - Rejoice in the Lord always: and again I say, Rejoice. Philippians 4:4

Challenge 4
For this last challenge I decided to be inspired simply by God's creation. And it wouldn't be the first time (see Clouds by God). I rotated the sketch 180 degrees and scrapped our (Glenda, Jessica, Caitlin and me) scrapping! And I added another verse - "You are worthy, our Lord and God, to receive glory and honour and power, for you created all things and by your will they were created and have their being." Revelation 4:11



It's amazing what a deadline can do and being just a little prepared. All that in one day!
Whaddayareckon?

1 comment:

Peg said...

You totally blitzed it!!
WTG :-)