Friday 6 February 2009

Inspired by Vincent

Vincent Van Gogh, that is.

Blue Bazaar is THE place to be nowadays. It's full of inspiration, challenges and arty goodness. (And I don't even work there!!!)

So anyway, I decided to do the Gary Reef challenge which you can find out about in the Blue Bazaar Newsletter.

The challenge is to take this image and create an artwork 'inspired' by the painting. You do not have to reproduce it in anyway. You can create an artwork which has similar characteristics but is completely your own style, colour scheme, design etc.

The other day at church, which I love love LOVE, I thought to myself that I would like to praise God in my art incorporating Ephesians 1:3, which had been talked about and excited me no end! I didn't know about the sunflower challenge at the time. :)

Hennyway. I did a warm up page using up some stickers that I didn't know were stickers until I went to use them (I've had them for years) and decided to stick the verse on. I snaffled a New Testament that has been left out in the rain and uncared for and would've been thrown away - I just can't throw these things away! So here it is.


Besides the stickers, I used some paper stuff that Annelise had in her box of treasures (on the vase), and some Stampin' Up Watercolor Wonder Crayons. All applied to a background I did from Vivian Bonder's Art Journal class (which she is doing again, if you're interested).

But wait, there's more!

Susannah was also inspired by Van the Man - as somebody put it. Here is her rendition.


And now to the pièce de résistance...

Sometimes my mind is whirlpool of ideas spinning and swirling around. My frustration mounts as more ideas bubble up and the thought that I might not get to bring any of them to fruition (I think I'm mixing metaphors there!) increases in urgency.

Well, I managed to do something - a combination of a few bubbles of thought and the fact that my head hurts and I am not much good for anything else at the moment. Very therapeutic.


You can't tell but the vase is actually padded so that it is rounded a bit. :)


I used - lots of ribbons for the background; hand-dyed silk fibre thingies from here; Some hessian 'paper' from a $2 shop and.... oh, felt from my stash.

That's all for now.

No comments: