Wednesday 27 August 2008

Crazy Quilt

I'm not talking about the kind of quilting where you sew irregular shaped pieces of fabric together to form a crazy quilt. I'm talking about the crazy quilting I did on Malachi's blanket.



A stitch in time saves nine! That's the motto my Mum has lived by and to her credit! Much to Mum's dismay, no doubt, I have not inherited that virtue. I do repairs but usually I'm up to nine stitches before I get around to it. I did, however, seem to inherit a little sentimental attachment to things. Hence I have just spent a lot of time sewing a blanket that is long past its use-by date onto a new piece of fabric.


Jesus says, recorded in Matthew 9:16, "No one sews a patch of unshrunk cloth on an old garment, for the patch will pull away from the garment, making the tear worse." Well I did!

DH kindly bought the totally non-matching bit of fleece (That's what happens when you send someone else to do your errands. Have you ever tried relating a colour to someone over the phone without a point of reference?) and I sewed Malachi's much loved blankie to it - without even prewashing the fabric!!! Dozen madder.


I sewed and sewed and sewed for what felt like two whole days. Finally it is all done, washed, dried and ready for Mal to take to bed. He loves his blanket. There's something about the crocheting and sticking his fingers through it that just makes it special.


What does Mal like about his blanket? "I've had it for a long time and I don't want it to die," says Malachi wistfully.

I will aim to scrap these photos some time but I don't know when that will be so I thought I would just get it down for now.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wonderful! I look forward to how you will use these photos.

Anonymous said...

I think that is just a sweet thing to do... recreating the blanket for your darling son xxx tears in my eyes xxx and you were not patching it but layering it together with love xxx