Thursday 17 April 2008

The Dress

The Aussie Dare this month is monoprinting. I love the examples that are shown and couldn't wait to have a go myself.

This is what I did..
Took a plastic bag that came with scrapbooking supplies in it.
Painted it with Making Memories acrylic paint and a foam brush.
Pressed a paper doiley onto the paint - if you look closely you can see roses.
Then I pressed the painted plastic onto the cardstock.

I did take note that I needed to work quickly but my quickly wasn't quick enough. It doesn't matter though. I like the result.


The journalling reads:
I want you to know about the dress that Caitlin Rose is wearing.
I went to Macarthur Girls' High School in Parramatta for a couple of years in my life. During that time I had a wonderful sewing teacher. Her name was Miss Forster. She taught me many things which I remember to this day.
One of our assignments in Year 10 was to make a baby dress with smocking on the front and sleeves. We could choose from expensive Swiss Voile or cheaper material. And we could choose from white, pink, blue or yellow. I decided to go neutral with white and a silvery grey embroidery.
This is probably the most beautiful garment I have ever made. I even did a counted thread hem (Italian Hem Stitch - click on the picture)- counting 3 threads of this exquisitely fine material!!!
Unfortunately the sleeves ended up being too tight which made the dress uncomfortable for a baby to wear for a long time.
If you look back through our family photos you will find one of Annelise wearing this dress and this photo of Caitlin which we took before church one Sunday.

Products used: ColorMates cardstock Light Chocolate Malt; Making Memories Acrylic Paint; making Memories Ink; Inque Boutique Nightingale flourish stamp; Basic Grey Two Scoops paper; VersaCube Ink Orchid, Prima Press N Petals flowers; Kaisercraft Rhinestones; Uniball Signo Gel Pen Gold; Stampin' Up Stampin Write Cameo Coral; Making Memories Rubons Heidi.

3 comments:

Rebecca said...

Beautiful. Love what you did with the doily. I especially love how you have added the journaling to the page.
Rebecca

Julie said...

Beautiful! Love the story that goes with the outfit...I also have an outfit that I made in high school...they are pretty special! :)

jilly said...

Absolutely beautiful Diane. You are just talented at everything! You completely amaze me!
xxJillGG