Sunday 2 September 2007

THE Wedding



Lucky you! You get to see some wedding photos the day after the wedding.

It was the most beautiful wedding I've been to. And Annelise was, of course, the most beautiful bride I've ever seen (that's the only time I will be able say that).

It rained, the hairdresser was running late and the makeup lady was running ridiculously late but none of that dampened this totally joyous occasion.

Because everything was running about 45 mins late (that is Annelise walked down the aisle FORTY FIVE MINUTES late) there was very little time for photos but Douglas managed to squeeze in about 600. You can see them at Viewpoint Photographics - just type in the username aam07 and the password 010907.

Do you want to read my speech? Okay... Here it is. For some reason there was one paragraph missing on the day, but I will give it to you here.

Speech V5 :)

It is a pretty awesome task to make a speech for your daughter’s wedding and I feel privileged to have been asked to do so. Thank you for coming along to share this important occasion with us all. And I would especially like to thank all those who have contributed to making this wedding a beautiful and memorable event.

I‘d like to tell you a little bit about Annelise for those of you who have just met her today. For those of you who have known her a little longer, you can just nod your heads in agreement!

I’ve known Annelise since she was born - well a little bit before that really. Annelise decided she would like to come into the world differently to most babies (breech) and I think that is an indication of what she is like today - quite normal with a little twist of ‘different’! You’ve seen the invitations.

You may not have noticed but, Annelise is quiet and shy. She is! Along with that she is A beautiful, friendly and even, as you get to know her, an outgoing person. Annelise has been known to eat from a stranger’s picnic table, go down the street with her pajamas on, and search for new and exciting ways to avoid writing her thesis.

She has a strong sense of relationships, a love of language, and a sense of humour.

For instance - Annelise has this sock, just one. It’s Annelise’s sock - I know! But Annelise denies it. For the last few years we’ve taken to hiding the sock in each other’s stuff somewhere, trying hard not to be the one left in possession of it.

Annelise popped off this poem to me one night…

Oh Mother dear
Oh Mother dear
I have a great idea, I fear

For me a GREAT idea is rare
And this idea’s beyond compare
See if you like it: How ‘bout we
Instead of socks, hide poetry?

(This is what happens
fo, fi, feep
in the wee hours of morning
when I can’t sleep).

The poetry didn’t continue but the sock thing has.

This might be a family tradition we’ve started here - a small one - but fun. I look forward to watching Alan and Annelise as they grow in their lives together and create new and fun family traditions that help to keep their family relationships alive and well.

Relationships are important to Annelise, and none more so now, than her relationship with God. One of THE most exciting moments of my life was to find out that Annelise had decided to give her life to God and become a Christian - Amazing Grace never sounded so sweet.

I prayed, from when Annelise was very young, that God would prepare the right man for her.

God is so gracious and kind - He has brought Alan into Annelise’s life and has blessed us all with his strength of personality and his spiritual aliveness - and his sense of humour. God has answered my prayer - and I know this is beyond all I could ask or think.

Relationships are important to God too. Today we have witnessed the vows that Alan and Annelise have made to each other and I know that Annelise will commit herself to their marriage with the all the strength, courage and determination of her character, AND with God’s help, will strive for the best and longest-lasting marriage ever. God bless you both.

(As you have heard) Annelise has a huge task on her hands when it comes to family relationships - you look worried :) - I’m talking about the number of brothers and sisters she has. Chris is her closest sibling. Then add to that 15 more brothers and sisters and you have her family all wrapped up. Her relationship with ALL of her brothers and sisters is valued and important to Annelise.

I am blessed to have Annelise as my first child, and even more blessed that Annelise is one of my best friends and a sister in the family of God.

It is such a delight to receive an SMS that reads “Just a quick message to say I REALLY LOVE YOU. Currently on the bus thinking about how lucky I am to have a mum like you. Have a smiley day.”

May God bless you both, Alan and Annelise, with children just like you! Or failing that - with children who are loving, obedient, well-behaved, quiet but sociable, fine specimens of society.

I want to take this opportunity to say thank you to William and Leone for raising a fine young man, and to wholeheartedly and with great pleasure, welcome not only Alan but ALL your family into OUR ever-growing family.

Finally…

Oh daughter dear
Oh Daughter dear
You’ve had a great idea, I fear.

For you a GREAT idea is rare
and this idea’s definitely beyond compare
I really like it, I’m glad I can
You said yes to marrying a very nice man!

And so ends this speech
fo fi feep
Now I will be able
to get some sleep!

3 comments:

Vicky said...

oh fabtastic photos!
and such a moving speech!
Well done

Rachael said...

This is the most perfect speech I've ever read - it would have gone down such a treat - well done Diane!!!

Stunning photos, I can't wait to see more of them scrapped. Especially love the one of them laughing on their way down the stairs!
xoxox

Anonymous said...

Too cool Diane! Loved the photos, loved the speech! I can imagine you guys are gonna be high on excitement for a long time. Yay!!!